TIVETSHALL ST. MARY is a village and parish about 1½ miles south from Tivetshall St. Margaret station of the Great Eastern railway. The village is partly situated on the high road from London to Norwich, 5½ miles north-north-east from Diss.in the Southern division of the county, Diss hundred, Depwade Union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an old building of flint and stone, in the Perpendicular style of architcture, consisting of large chancel, nave, south porch and lofty tower. The register dates from the year 1672. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Tivetshall St. Margaret, joint yearly value £960, with 28 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of Lord Orford, and held since 1874 by the Rev. Henry Symonds M.A. of Hertford College, Oxford. The fuel allotment of 3 acres is let at £7 yearly. John Hotson esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are James Hill and John Aldous esqrs. and Sir Kenneth H. Kemp bart. The soil is heavy; subsoil, ckay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and beans. The parish contains 1,125 acres; rateable value, £1,600, and the population in 1881 was 299.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875, for Tivetshall United District; R. Borrett, Pulham Market, clerk to the Board
Board School, built in 1876, with house attached for the master, at a cost of £800, for 90 children; average attendance,90; Fredk. Haines, master; Mrs. Florence Haines, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated Novmber, 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tivetshall St. Mary Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Tivetshall postmill [Jonathan Neviile]
More on Tivetshall St. Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
and see Tivetshall St Margaret