1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Toft Monks drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Toft Monks Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Toft Monks [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Toft Monks

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 530.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TOFT MONKS is a parish and village 4 miles north-east from Beccles, 6 south-east from Loddon, 1 west from Aldeby station, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, county court district of Bungay and Beccles, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, with nave and handsome octagonal tower containing 3 bells: the interior was restored and re-seated in 1873, at a cost of 220, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of 20 from the Incorporared Church Builsing Society. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Haddiscoe, joint yearly value 500, with 26 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and held since 1877 by the Rev. Arthur Wace B.A. late scholar of that college, who resides at the rector, Haddiscoe. The town estate comprises three small tenements, a garden and 11A. 3R. now let for 42 yearly, 10 of which sum is applied in aid of the church and the remainder in coals for the poor. Caleb Colman esq. of Toft Monks House, Ambrose John Palmer esq. and the Provost and fellows of King's College, Cambridge, are the chief landowners; the latter are lords of the manor and impropriators of two-thirds of the tithes. The soil is mixed heavy and light land: subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, peas and roots. The area is 2,238 acres, of which 600 acres are marsh and 76 acres woods and plantations; rated at 3,667; the population in 1881 was 397.


POST OFFICE.—Robert Tripp, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Beccles at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money; telegraph office is at Beccles

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1873 for the inited districts of Toft Monks and Haddiscoe; H. T. Smith, clerk to the Board

Board School, a red brick building faced with stone, for both parishes, built in 1870 at a cost of 1,000, for 150 childrem; average attendance, 120; Herbert Campbell, master; Mrs. Martha Campbell, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Toft Monks drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Toft Monks Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Toft Monks [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page