TOFT MONKS, 4 miles N. of Beccles, and 6 miles S.E. by E. of Loddon, comprises in its parish 86 houses, 421 souls, and 2,190 acres of land, of which upwards of 600 acres are marsh, and 76 acres in woods and plantations. The principal land owners are, Hy. Chamberlin, M. M. Blacker, Wm. Jecks, Richd. Bohun, Jas. Fuller, Fdk. Pearce, Wm. Maddle, Thos. R. West, Mrs. Sarah Holt, the Masters and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, and Jonathan Farrow, Esq. ; the two latter are joint lords of the manor, patrons of the living, and appropriators of the great tithes. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a small structure, with a fine tower ; and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £8, and consolidated with that of Toft Monks. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £496. There are 26 acres of glebe land and 13 acres of common. The Town Estate consists of 11a. 3r. 3p. of land, three tenements, and a garden, let for £28 a year, which is applied with the church rates. Wm. Crispe, in 1798, left the dividends, of £42 new 3½ per cent. stock, for the poor.
Robt. Chase, carpenter and vict. White Lion ;
Wm. Copeman, butcher and beerhouse ;
Eliz. Ellison and Jno. Grimson, shopkeepers ;
Jno. Farrow, wheelwright;
Mr. Jas. Forder;
Wm. Forder, carpenter;
B. Heeley, Geo. Jacobs, and Jno. Riches, shoemakers ;
Mr. Thos. Parker Hewitt ;
Robt. Tripp Sharman, blacksmith.
Edwd. H. Colman,
Jas. and Jno. Fuller,
Chas. Woodthorpe, and
Robt. Woolltorton, The Hall.