TOFTREES is a parish about 2½ miles south-west from Fakenham station, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Toftrees, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an old Gothic stone building, and has chancel, nave and a low tower: the west window is stained: the font is Norman. The register commences in the year 1760. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £228, in the gift of the Marquis Townshend and held since 1861 by the Rev. William Barlow M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge: the living has been annexed to Shereford, but they will not be held together until the avoidance of one [of - sic.] them. The Marquis Townshend is the sole landowner and of [sic.] lord of the manor. The soil is various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,184 acres; rateable value, £1,668; and the population in 1881 was 64.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dunton (& Toftrees) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Toftrees [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page