TOPCROFT is a scattered village and parish 6 miles south-east from Flordon station and 6 north-west from Bungay, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, county court district of Bungay, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret, which was restored in 1861, is an old building, in the Perpendicular style; it has chancel, nave and south aisle, with a tower, round at the bottom and octagonal above, containing 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £411, with 48 acres of glebe and good modern residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1880 by the Rev. John George Rowe M.A. Cantuar, J.P Norfolk. Here is a Congregational chapel. The poor's land, with 3 acres left by R. Goodwin, consists of 4A. 2R. now let at £18 a year. John Isaac Hunter and William M. Hazard esqrs. are joint lords of the manor of Topcroft-cum-Denton. Alfred Massey, John Isaac Hunter, and Samuel Newton Delf esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The area is 1,874 acres; rateable value, £2,889; and the population in 1881 was 357.
POST OFFICE.William Cook Pooley, receiver. Letters receiveed from Bungay by foot post at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. No delivery on sundays. Hempnall is the nearest money order office; telegraph ofice at Bungay
INSURANCE AGENT.Gresham Life, W. C. Pooley
British School, Miss E. R. Ashcroft, mistress
CARRIER.William Wyde to Norwich, wed. & sat.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864; and 1864 [ENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
Topcroft postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Topcroft [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Topcroft, [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]