Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Loddon hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Bungay & Beccles county court district
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; 1864; and 1864 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
Topcroft postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Topcroft [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Topcroft, [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Topcroft

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 525

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

TOPCROFT, 5 miles N.W. by W. of Bungay, and 12 miles S. of Norwich , is a parish with 477 souls, 90 houses, and 1,864 acres of land, of which 90 acres are in woods and plantations. The Church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a tower, round at the base and octangular above, and contains memorials to the Chilcote, Tennison, and Smyth families. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £10 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £400, is in the gift of the bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Wilson, who has 40 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £396 per annum. The father of Tennison, Archbishop of Canterbury, was rector of Topcroft, in 1646. Here is a small independent chapel. The Poor's allotment, 1a. 2r., was awarded at the enclosure in 1807. The poor have also £9 a year, arising from 3a., left by Robt. Goodwin, in 1659.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Loddon hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Bungay & Beccles county court district
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; 1864; and 1864 [ENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
Topcroft postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Topcroft [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Topcroft, [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]