TOTTENHILL, that is Tot's Well Hill, or the hill of the spring of the brook, is a parish and village 2 miles east from Magdalen road station, 6 north from Downham Market, and 6 south-by-east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Botolph is a small stone building in the Early English style, having chancel (restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1864, under Mr. Christian, architect), nave and tower contaiing 1 bell: the chancel arch was restored from a design of Mr. Laurie of Downham: a few years since a portion of a well-carved oak bench was found in the church, with the name John Dux. expr. and is now in the possession of Somerville Arthur Gurney esq. of Runcton. The register dates from the year 1679. The living is a vicarage, united in 1871 with that of Wormegay and augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, joint yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1840 by the Rev. William Henry Henslowe M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who resides at Wormegay. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The poor's land of 15 acres (now occupied by Mr. John Wix), produces £33 yearly for fuel, and Davis' charity of £2 12s. is for bread. George Coote esq. who is lord of the manor, William Boon esq. the trustees of J. R. Mills, W. G. Hoff esq. Canon Birch and William Cater esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is sand, gravel and clay, subsoil. the same. The chief crops are wheat, barley. turnips and clover. The area is 1,590 acres; rateable value, £2,216; the population in 1881 was 367.
WESTBRIGGS is a hamlet, with few inhabitants: it is really part of Wormegay parish, but has given up its ancient church to the enlarged hamlet and actual village of Tottenhill.
POST OFFICE.George W. Butter, receiver. Letters through Lynn arrive at 8.40 a.m. & dispatched at 3.40 p.m.; sundays, arrived at 10.50 a.m. Lynn is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
The children of this parish attend the school at Wormegay
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tottenhill Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page