TOTTINGTON, a small village, on the Thetford road, 4 miles S. by W. of Watton, has in its parish 340 souls, and 3090 acres of land, (including 150A. of plantation,) nearly all the property of Lord Walsingham. The soil is generally a light sand. The Church (St. Andrew) is a large fabric, with a square tower, containing five bells, and formerly crowned by a spire, which was taken down in 1802. The pews have carved heads, and in the windows are some fragments of stained glass. Several ancient slabs have been robbed of their brasses. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £6. 14s. 9d., and in 1831 at £89, is enjoyed by the Rev. W. J. Burford, D.D., with 10 acres of glebe. The patronage, and the rectorial titles, belong to Chigwell Free Schools, Essex. At the enclosure, in 1774, about 60 acres were left open as a Fuel Allotment, but part of it is now in plantations, belonging to Lord Walsingham. DIRECTORY: Wm. Chilvers, vict., Green Man; John Clivers, wheelwright; Thomas Watling, fishmonger; Simon Watson, shopkeeper; Robert Chilvers, carpenter; and Thos. Buckle, John Lincoln, Thomas Palmer, Wm. Sutton, and Robert Towler, farmers.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
The story of the evacuation
Tottington Revisited (EDP Magazine, 29 Jan 2000)
WWII veteran buried in Tottington Churchyard [BBC 3 Oct 2009]
White's 1854; 1864 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Book reviews ("A Norfolk Woman")
Tottington archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Tottington
More on Tottington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page