TOTTINGTON, a scattered village and parish on the Thetford road, 4 miles S. by W. of Watton, has 61 houses, 370 inhabitants, and about 4,000 acres of land, all the property of Lord Walsingham, the lord of the manor. The Church is a spacious edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, with a square tower and five bells. A spire that crowned the tower was taken down in 1802. In the windows are some fragments of stained glass. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 19s. 4d., and in 1831 at £89, is enjoyed by the Rev. Frederick Woods Mant. The patronage and the rectorial tithes belong to Chigwell Free School, Essex. Here is a school, which is supported by Lord Walsingham. At the enclosure in 1774, about 60 acres were left open as a Fuel allotment ; but part of it is now in plantations belonging [to] Lord Walsingham.
Transcription Copyright © A.J. Carter, April 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
The story of the evacuation
Tottington Revisited (EDP Magazine, 29 Jan 2000)
WWII veteran buried in Tottington Churchyard [BBC 3 Oct 2009]
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883
Book reviews ("A Norfolk Woman")
Tottington archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Tottington
More on Tottington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page