1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Trowse with Newton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Trowse watermill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Community web-site
More on Trowse -[GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Trowse Newton [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Trowse Newton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.532.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TROWSE NEWTON is a parish, village and station on the Great Eastern railway, 1¾ miles south-east-by-south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situate on the river Yare, near its junction with the Wensum. Part of Trowse Newton, called Trowse Milgate, is within the county of the city of Norwich (which see). The church of St. Andrew is a small flint building, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, and square tower containing 1 bell and a clock; the chancel was restored in 1879. The register dates from the year 1569. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Lakenham, joint gross yearly value £360, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and held since 1860 by the Rev. Alfred Pownall M.A. of St. Catharine's College, Cambridge. Here is a Congregational chapel, erected on 1870, with commodious Sunday schools adjoining. Cooper's charity of £3 19s. yearly is or fuel. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are lords of the manor, and Messrs. Colman are the chief landowners. The soil is gravel and clay; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats & barley. The area is 1,153 acres; rateable value, £3,538; the population in 1881 was 1,073.

____

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank—Wm. Cork, receiver. Letters are received from Norwich at 4.45 a.m. & are dispatched thereto at 6 p.m.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874, with Bixley as a contributory parish with 2 members; S. C. Hardy, Surrey street, Norwich, clerk to the Board
Board School, erected in 1874; average attendance is 110; Arthur Tuck, master; Miss Mallis, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 2005; links updated December 2013.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Trowse with Newton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Trowse watermill and Community web-site
More on Trowse [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Trowse Newton [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page