Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Trunch Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Trunch [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information, etc. [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Trunch

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 532.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TRUNCHh is a parish 3 miles north from North Walsham, and 2 from Gunton on the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Botolph, which stands in the centre of the village, is a handsome building, consisting of chancel, nave, and aisles, tower (containing 3 bells) supported by buttresses and north porch, there is also a font, with arved canopy, and a fine screen: the chancel has lately (1883) has ben put in good repair. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value tithe rent charge 420, with 23 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, and held since 1882 by the Rev. William Frederick Kimm M.A. formerly fellow of that college. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. Worts' Charity of 1 is for clothing. Lord Suffield and the rector are lords of the manors. William Henry and Alfred Primroe esqrs. are the chief landowners, their family date their residence jere from the fifteenth century. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. the chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,353 acres; rateable value, 2,592; and the population in 1881 was 451.


POST OFFICE.—,Benjamin Buck, receiver. Letters arrive form North Walsham at 8.25 a.m. & dispatched at 2.50 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Mundesley