TUDDENHAM (EAST), 9 miles W. of Norwich, and 7 miles E. of East Dereham, is a pleasant village and parish, containing 123 houses, 589 souls, and 2,066a. 12p. of land forming the manors of Astleys, Berrys, Aphaws, and Cockfields, of which the Right Hon. and Rev. Lord Bayning is lord ; but S. and J. K. Gooch. Esqrs. have estates here, and several occupy their own farms. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat Gothic edifice, which has recently undergone some extensive alterations and repairs at the joint expense of the parishioners and the vicar. It contains a beautiful stained glass window, representing the Descent from the Cross, &c., painted by the widow of a former vicar, the Rev. E. Mellish, Dean of Hereford, who died in 1830, and was buried in the chancel, where there are several monuments, and a mutilated effigy, supposed to represent Sir Edm. de Berry. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £7 6s., has been augmented with £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 given by F. Tilney, Esq.[,] and is consolidated with that of Honingham. The Right Hon. and Rev. Lord Bayning is patron, incumbent, and impropriator. Here is a National school for this and Honingham parish. The Town Lands, 6a. 1r., given by John Proo, in the 19th of Henry VIII. to pay the common charges of the parish, had an allotment of 6a. at the enclosure, and the whole is now let for £49 10s. The Fuel allotment, 25a. 2r. 4p., awarded in 1804, is let for £55, which is expended in coals. Five cottages, supposed to have been left by John Proo, are occupied by poor people. Fdk. Tilney, in 1717, gave three tenements for the residence of poor persons ; they now consist of five tenements; to which 2r. 26p. of land were allotted at the enclosure. In 1705, the Rev. Jeremiah and My. Revans gave 1½a. of land for distributions of bread, and a yearly sermon ; and the former left a rent-charge of 30s. for the same uses ; also a rent-charge of £4 for the education of two poor boys of this parish, and two of Barford. The poor have 6s. yearly from Mowting's charity ; 3s. left by an unknown donor ; and £2 8s. 6d. yearly left by the Rev. T. R. Du Quesne, who also left 10s. to the parish clerk, and 10s. to the minister, to buy books for the poor.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.
Return to villages index
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 abd 1883[GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Tuddenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Tuddenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's Home Page