1891 Census Names Index
Mitford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
North Tuddenham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
North Tuddenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Tuddenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - North Tuddenham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 818-819

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001]

TUDDENHAM (NORTH), is a parish of scattered houses, extending from 2½ to 4¾ miles E. of East Dereham, and contains 430 inhabitants, 90 houses, and 2,238a. 1r. 4p. of land, lying in the manors of St. Clere and Bellhouse Hall, of which T. B. Evans, Esq. is lord ; but Thos. T. Berney, Chas. Brown, and Robert Barry, Esqrs. are the principal owners. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower with one bell, and has recently undergone improvements, at a cost of £150, and further improvements are to be carried out at the expense of the rector. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £10 5s. 5d., and in 1831 at £728, is in the gift of Robt. Barry, Esq., and enjoyed by the Rev. Robert Barry, M.A., who has a handsome rectory house in the Elizabethan style, built in 1852 and '53. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and here is a small school supported by the rector. The Fuel allotment, 24a , was awarded in 1765. In 1682, Fras. Skipp left a yearly payment of £15 for the poor. In 1720, £150 was recovered as arrears of this rent charge, and is now vested in the three per cent. consols. To three tenements and about 4a. of land left to the poor by the Rev. J. Smith, Rev. Hy. Young, and Dr. Norris, in the 17th century, 4a. 12p. was allotted at the enclosure, and the whole is let for £18 a year. The poor have also 10s. from Mowting's charity ; £2 left by John Branch ; 6s. 8d. by R. Neeve ; 4s. out of Bell Close ; £1 14s. 10d. from £58 three per cent. consols, left by T. Ward in 1806 ; and 30s. from 1a. 1r. of land left by the Rev. Hy. Young,

Barry Rev. Rbt. M.A. rectory
Bowes Edw. shoemaker
Dack Robt. carpenter
Farman Amy, miller
Hall Jno. beerhouse
Hall Robert, parish clerk
Jenney John vict. and bricklayer, Fox and Goose
Leggart Rbt. blacksmith
Farmers.
Cobb Robt.
Coe Peter
Edwards Edw.
Hind John
Keeler Robt.
Lewell Geo. J.
Mack Benj.
Mack J. Old Hall
Nicholson Edw.
Outlaw Thos.
Reeve Wm.
Sharman Peter
Sharman Robt.
Smith Thos. (and owner)
Vincent John
Warner Wm.
Wright John (& cattle dealer)

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Mitford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
North Tuddenham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
North Tuddenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Tuddenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page