Tuddenham information [Suffolk Camra]
More about Tuddenham St. Mary [GENUKI-SFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Tuddenham St. Mary

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.1045.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TUDDENHAM ST. MARY is a parish and village, pleasantly situated on gently rising ground 3½ miles south-east from Mildenhall, 9 north-west from Bury and 3 north from Higham station on the Cambridge, Newnarket and Bury St. Edmunds branch of the Great Eastern Railway, in the Western division of the county, Lackford hundred, Mildenhall union and county court district, Fordham rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone and rubble, in the early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, tower with 5 bells and porch: it was thoroughly restored and roof rebuilt in 1876 at a cost of £2,500, defrayed by the Marquess of Bristol, the Rev. E. Sparke, M.A., J.P. and other subscribers, paved with encaustic tiles, and seated with open oak benches: within the chancel rails is a piscina and there is also one in the aisle; in the nave are tombstones: one to Thomas Shelley, dated 1680; and one to his wife, 1695; one to Henry Goldwell, one of the burgesses of Bury St. Edmunds, dated 1693; also to his wife, 1712; and one to James Davies, dated 1719. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a rectory, yearly value £283, with 17 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Bristol and held since 1852 by the Rev. Ezekiel Sparke M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, J.P. for Suffolk. The Baptists have a chapel here. There is one charity of about £6 yearly value. There is an extensive flour mill, worked by Mr. J. R. Hammond, driven by water and steam. Here are the remains of an abbey. The Marquess of Bristol is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, gravel and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,644 acres; reateable value, £1,823; and the population in 1881 was 377.


POST OFFICE.— Frederick Manning, receiver. Letters from Soham, viâ Mildenhall, arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.55 p.m. Mildenhall is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

The Free School was founded by John Cockerton, who endowed it , in 1723, with 100 acres of land, also a dwelling-house attached for the use of the schooolmaster; the school-house & master's house jave been rebuilt: it will hold 60 children, average attendance 50; Frederick Vanhagen, master; Mrs. Laura Vanhagen, mistress.

CARRIER TO BURY passes through every weekday, from Mildenhall

Sparke Rev. Ezekiel M.A., J.P. Rectory
Haggart Duncan, farm bailiff to the Marquess of Bristol
Hammond John Robert, miller (steam & water) & farmer
Howard Robert, shopkeeper
Kendal Alfd. wheelwright & beer retailr
Nedwick Dvd. market gardnr. & shokpr
Rumbelow Mary (Mrs.), blacksmith
Sparrow Sarah Ann (Mrs.), shoe maker
Spooner William, shopkeeper
Wilkes John, White Hart
Wright John Arthur, Anchor

NOTE: The name St. Mary distinguishes the village from Tuddenham St. Martin, near Ipswich, in the Eastern division of the county. [E.C.A.]

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2001; links updated,July 2014, links updated September 2014.

Tuddenham information [Suffolk Camra]
More about Tuddenham St. Mary [GENUKI-SFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page