TUNSTEAD is a parish and village 2½ miles from Worstead station on the Tunstead line, 10 north-east from NorwichNorth Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is of flint and stone, and has been restored: it is a large and ancient building, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of large chancel, nave, aises, with a losty embattled tower containing 8 bells, and south porch: there is a beautiful screen. The register dates from the year 1678. The living is a dischaarged vicarage, with the vicarage of South Ruston annexed, joint yearly value £380, in the gift of Mrs. Thomas Mack, of Tunstead Hall, and held since 1863 by the Rev. George Hemlington Harris M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. The poor have the benefit of several charities, and the rent of some allotments. Thomnas Mack esq. who is lord of the manor, R. J. Johnson, and John S. Pottle esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oars anbd barley. The number of acres is 2.259; rateable vaue, £4,196; and the population in 1881 was 420.
Letters through Norwich, viā Scottow. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Coltishall.
School, Miss Charlotte Horrex, mistress
CARRIER TO NORWICH.John Barber, wed. & sat. returning same day
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Tunstead archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Tunstead [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]