TUNSTEAD, 6 miles S. by E. of North Walsham, and 10 miles N.N.E. of Norwich, is a village and parish which gives name to this Hundred, and contains 2,291a. of land, 102 houses, and 449 inhabitants. The land chiefly belongs to the Rev. T. Mack, J. Mack, R. Johnson, and W. Postle, Esqrs. The former is lord of the manor, and patron and incumbent of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, a spacious gothic edifice with a lofty embattled tower, containing five bells. Within the last few years great improvements and alterations have been made in the church, at the joint expense of the rector and the parishioners. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £18 9s. 7d., and in 1831, at £290, with the curacy of Sco-Ruston annexed to it. There are 6a. of glebe, and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for the yearly payments of £284 to the vicar ; £4 4s. to the rector of Sloley ; and £356 15s. 5d. to the impropriators. Of the latter, £132 is paid to the Rev. T. Mack, and the rest to R. Johnson, Esq. The interest of £270, derived a few years ago, from the sale of the town houses, is applied with the poor rates. The poor have two cottages, with 2r. 13p. of land, occupied by widows ; 2a. 0r. 16p., let for £3, and an allotment of 8a. 3r. 11p. of land, let for £10 a year, which is distributed in coals. They have likewise a yearly rent of 3s. from land in the Three Acres, and the rent of 1a. 1r. 3p. is carried to the poor rates. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. In 1851, a neat National School was built by the Rev. Thos. Mack, which he also generously supports.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Tunstead archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Tunstead [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]