Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
John Dawson, Will, 1796
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Alby with Thwaite Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thwaite All Saints [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Thwaite St Mary

Norfolk - Thwaite [or Thwayte, or Thwaite All Saints]

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 431-432.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003.]

THWAITE or Thwayte, 4½ miles N. of Aylsham, is a pleasant but scattered village with 31 houses, 138 souls, and 608 acres of land, chiefly the property of the Earl of Orford, who with the bishop of Norwich, are joint lords of the manor ; but Mr. John Cooke [sic] has also an estate and neat residence here. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a round tower, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £7, in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Dix, B.A., who has 7a. of glebe and a yearly rent of £204 awarded in 1846, in lieu of tithes. In 1835, Mrs. Lydia Baret erected two school rooms, with a house for the teachers, at the cost of about £800, which are now supported by Miss Charlotte Ferrier, and are attended by about 80 children.

DIRECTORY—

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
John Dawson, Will, 1796
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Alby with Thwaite Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thwaite All Saints [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Thwaite St Mary