Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Loddon hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Bungay & Beccles county court district
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Thwaite [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thwaite St. Mary, [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Thwaite All Saints

Norfolk - Twaite [or Thwaite St.Mary]

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 525

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003.]

TWAITE, 12 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 130 souls, 29 houses, and 667 acres of land, lying in several manors, and belonging to Sir W. F. F. Middleton, J. L. Bedingfield, and the executors of W. Andrew, and W. Johns, Esqrs., and a few smaller owners. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt of brick in 1738.. The entrance on the south side is through a fine semi-circular arch, with six different mouldings ; and in one of the windows is painted St. Edmund the King and Martyr. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £4, and in 1831 at £150, has 3a. of glebe. Sir W. F. F. Middleton is patron, and the Rev. Robt. Cobb, of Ellingham, incumbent. The parish clerk has 13s. a year, left by unknown donors.

DIRECTORY—

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Loddon hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Bungay & Beccles county court district
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Thwaite [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thwaite St. Mary, [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Thwaite All Saints