1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Twyford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Twyford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Twyford

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 534.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TWYFORD is a parish one mile from Foulsham station on the Great Eastern railway, 7 miles south=east from FakenhamEast Dereham, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas is a small edifice, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, a low square tower with 1 bell and porch. The register dates from the year 1553. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Guist annexed, joint gross yearly value 350, and 10 acres of glebe, with residence at Guist, in the alternate gift of the trustees of the preent rector and the trustees of the late William Norris esq. and held since 1861 by the Rev. John Norris Spurgeon B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The fuel alloment of 10 acres oroduces 13, Twyford Hall, the property of Mrs. Packe, but now occupied by Charles A. Hamond esq. is a red brick mansion, pleasantly situated in an extensive and well-timbered lawn. Mrs. Packe and D. B. Preston esq, are the chief landowners; the former is lady of the manor. The soil is light mixed, and some portions heavy; subsoil, clay and gravel. The area is 529 acres' rateable value, 1,012; and the population in 1881 was 58.


Letters through East Dereham. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Foulsham

The children attend the school at Guist

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Twyford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Twyford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page