TWYFORD, a pleasant village on the Norwich and Fakenham road, 6 miles W.N.W. of Reepham, has in its parish 84 souls,17 houses, and 529 acres of land, belonging to Samuel Tolver, Esq., and Col. Henry Packe, the lord of the manor, who resides at Twyford Hall, a neat mansion, with tasteful pleasure grounds. The Church, dedicated to St. Nicholas ; and the chancel was repaired and beautified at the expense of the rector, in 1850. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £4 19s. 9½d., has been augmented with £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and has 12a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £155, awarded in 1838, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. John Spurgeon is the incumbent. The Fuel Allotment, 10a., was awarded in 1796. The poor have 15s. a year from half-an-acre of land, given by an unknown donor.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Twyford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Twyford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page