TYDD ST. GILES, or Tid St. Giles) is a parish in the Isle of Ely, 6 miles north-west from Wisbech, and 96 from London, in Wisbech hundred, union and county court district, and rural deanery of Wisbech, and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The church of St. Giles, which is in the Norman and Early English styles, and dates from the 12th century, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and square detached tower of very ancient date, containing 5 bells: the nave of the church has five Norman arches and one drop arch, with circular piers and varied capitals, some Norman, others Early English: the chancel arch is a drop arch on shafts, with Early English capitals: there are several niches: the south aisle and clerestory windows are Perpendicular, and there is a good modern stained east window: the west door is within an ogee arch, with three niches over it, and a fine Decorated window, with buttresses and crocketed canopies, and is supposed to be the work of Alan de Walsingham, the architect of the lantern of Ely Cathedral: the tower stands many yards away from the south-east angle of the chancel; its two lower stages seem to be Decorated, its uooer stages Perpendicular and battlemented: the church underwent thorough restoraration in the year 1869, at a cost of £2,400: a handsome organ was added in 1883 at a cost of £270. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge commuted at £1,050, £200 of which goes to Dunstable, Bedfordshire, nett yearly value £500, with 13 acres of glebe, and house, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1882 by the Rev. Gordon Woodgate M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. Here is a Baptist chapel, and the Reformed Wesleyans have one at Tydd Gote. Brigstock's and Wren's Chariies of £100 yearly are distributed among the poor. The Ecclestiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of Wisbech Barton, which extends into this parish. The principal landowners are Alexander Peckover, Henry Allenby, James Edward Fraser, G. Jackson, Francis Jackson and Richard Joseph Tindall esqrs. and Capt. Long R.N.. The soil is loam; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, mustard, potatoes and peas. The area is 4,991 acres, rateable value, £8,152; the population in 1881 was 878.
FOUL ANCHOR is 3 miles east: near here is a station on the Midland branch line from Peterborough and Wisbech to Sutton Bridge and Lynn, known as the Tydd station; also a Church of England mission house. Here is also a ferry across the Nene.
A small portion of TYDD GOTE. 2 miles north-east, is in this parish, the rest is in Tydd St. Mary, Lincolnshire.
Assistant Overseer Alfred Joseph Burling
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1879 & the school enlarged in 1881; W. J. Wright, Wisbech, clerk to the board
Board School (mixed), opened in 1866, Alfred Joseph Burling, master; Miss Harriet Mason, assistant mistress
Tydd Railway Station, Benjamnin Mayes, station master
Woodgate Rev. Gordon M.A. [rector]
Tydd St. Giles Parish Council
More on Tydd St Giles [Alan Gresley]
Genealogical Records for Tydd St Giles [Forebears]
More on Tydd St. Giles [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page