1891 Census Names Index
And see Upwell (Norfolk)
More on Upwell [Alan Gresley]
Upwell Genealogical Records [Forebears]
More on Upwell [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Cambridgeshire - Upwell

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.120-121.

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

UPWELL is a large village, a very extensive parish formerly a market town, 6½ south-east from the Wisbech and 4 miles south from the Emneth station, station of the Great Eastern railway, which company is constructing a steam tramway for the conveyance of goods and passengers between here and Wisbech: it is partly in the hundred of Wisbech, in the Isle of Ely, and a large portion in the hundred of Clackclose, county of Norfolk, union and county court district of Wisbech, rural deanery of Fincham. archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Doomsday Book informs us that it belonged, with Outwell, to the Abbey of Ramsey, and was at that time a place of some note. The Norfolk portion of this parish is given in Kelly's directory of that county. The mother church stands in Norfolk. Christ Church is an ecclesiastical parish of Upwell, in the Isle of Ely, 4 miles south of the mother chuchIt is situated on either side of the river Nene, which divides the counties. The Norfolk portion of this parish is given in Kelly's directory of that county. The mother church stands in Norfolk. Christ Church is an ecclesiastical parish of Upwell, in the Isle of Ely, 4 miles south from the mother church, and 3 east from Stonea station of the Great Eastern railway: the church is a cruciform building of brick, with coloured facings, consisting of chancel, chancel aisles, nave, transepts, and bell turret with one bell: there are two small stained east windows. The register dates from the year 1866. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £1,594 7s. 2d., with 6 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Charles Watson Townley esq. and held since 1862 by the Rev. George Metcalfe M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Baptists and Primitive Methodists. The charities amount to £137 yearly. The Public Hall was erected by a limited company: in it are held meetings, concerts and lectures. An Odd Fellows' Lodge (Manchester Unity) is held fortnightly on wednesdays, and is in a very flourishing condition.The fire engine was presented to the parish by the late Mr. James Lee; it is manned by volunteers, and the keys for the engine house are kept by Mr. William Bradfield. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of Wisbech Barton which extends into Upwell. The principal landowners are C. W. Townley, the representatives of the late Rev. G. J. Huddleston, J. C. Townsend esq. Lord Overstone, Sir J. L. Smith, George Vansittart, Thomas Wright, Samuel West, John Wooll and Thomas Elworthy esqrs. and Miss Orton. The soil is loamy, in many parts highly fertile, and the subsoil clay. The crops are wheat, potatoes, peas, beans, oats and mustard. The area of the entire parish is 16,454 acres; rateable value of the Cambridgeshire portion, £12,466; the population 1,356 in Cambridgeshire, and 2,082 in Norfolk: the population of the Christchurch ecclesiastical parish was 863.



Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated November, 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
And see Upwell (Norfolk)
More on Upwell [Alan Gresley]
Upwell Genealogical Records [Forebears]
More on Upwell [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page