WACTON is a village and parish one mile south-east from Forncett station and 1½ miles south-west from Long Stratton and 8 north-west from Harleston, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a fine building, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a round tower containing 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory (with the sinecure rectory of Wacton Parva annexed), joint yearly value £36=50, with 30 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs. E. T. Chadwick and held since 1881 by the Rev. Edward Taylor Chadwick. In 1711 Mrs. Elizabeth Bayspoole left £2 12s. yearly, to be given to the poor of this parish, which is now distributed on alternate sundays. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Randall Robert Burroughes esq. the trustees of Charles Walford esqr. and Major Henry Tuke Holmes J.P. of Wacton House. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 1,029 acres; rateable value, £1,350 6s.; the population in 1881 was 233.
Here is a school (erected in 1872), partly free, aided by small weekly payments by the children.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wacton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wacton [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Ruvett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page