WALCOTT, or Wolcot, is a parish on the coast, 1½ miles W. of Happisburgh, and 5½ miles E. by N. of North Walsham, comprising 167 souls, 38 houses, and 685 acres of land, of which, S. Bignold, Esq., is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to several other proprietors. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a curacy, certified at £26, and valued in 1831 at £43. In 1800 and 1817, it was augmented with £600 Queen Anne's Bounty, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Horatio Nelson Wm. Comyn, B.A. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and appropriator of the tithes, which are leased to the Rev. A. Siely, and have been commuted for £321 per annum, exclusive of the yearly payment of £24 10s. to the rector of Ridlington, and £2 10s. to the impropriator and vicar of Happisburgh. The poor have a chaldron of coals as compensation for a piece of waste land, enclosed about 39 years ago.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Happisburgh (& Walcott) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Walcot [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]