WALLINGTON-with-THORPLAND, form one parish 3 miles north from Downham Market, and 2 east from Stow Bridge station, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham Market union and county court district and Norwich diocese. There is no church. The living is a rectory, consolidated with those of South Runcton and Holme, joint yearly value £650, in the gift of the E. E. Peel esq. and held since 1860 by the Rev. Charles Greenwood Floyd M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, who resides at Holme. The land is subject to a modus of £18 a year in lieu of tithes. Wallington Hall is an ancient mansion with good gardens, and an extensive park, occupied by Mrs. Marcon. E. E. Peel esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is gravel, subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,460 acres; rateable value, £1,685; the population in 1881 was 76.Letters through Downham, the nearest money order & telegraph office
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Runcton Holme (incl. Wallington) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wallington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page