WALLINGTON-CUM-THORPLAND, 3 miles N. by E. of Downham, has in its parish 11 houses, 58 souls, and 1,363a. of land, of which 350a. is the property of Sir Thos. Hare, and the remainder belongs to Edm. Peel, Esq., the lord of the manor, who occasionally resides at Wallington Hall, a handsome mansion, surrounded with a well wooded park. It was anciently the seat of the Coningsbys and the Gawdys. One of the latter was Judge Gawdy, who, in the reign of Elizabeth, converted the CHURCH into a hay-house and dog kennel. The only part of it now remaining is the tower. The rectory is consolidated with Runcton and Holme. Thorpland had also a Church which stood in 1434, but no traces of it now remain.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Runcton Holme (incl. Wallington) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wallington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page