WALPOLE ST. ANDREW is a village and parish and station on a branch of the Great Northern and Midland railway, 9 miles west-by-south from Lynn and 7 north-by-east from Wisbech in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union and county court district of Wisbech, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew, a spacious structure in the Early Perpendicular style consists of chancel, nave, aisles and square tower containing 5 bells: in the south aisle hangs a large picture, by an Italian master, brought form Italy by Lord Coleraine: on the south side of the chancel is an elegant stone bracket, supposed to have been for the gospeller: there is also a curious cell built in the buttress of the tower, for which no object can be assigned. The register dates from the year 1653; baptisms, 1654. The living is a vicarage, commuted at £1,259 yearly, in the gift of Joseph P. Townsend esq. and held by the Rev. Demetrius Panaghis Calliphronas M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, by whom a vicarage house has been purchased and presented to the living. The Dole lands, of 85 acres and 22 houses, produce £194 yearly, which is for the uses of the poor. In 1862 the Charity Commissioners erected here almshouses for three poor widows, who each receive 4s. 6d. a week and two tons of coal annually. It was in the immediate locality that the English monarch King John lost the baggage of his army in attempting to cross the Wash. Edward Hugh Jackson esq. is lord of the manor of Walpole Colville, also of the manors of Walpole Coleraine and Walpole Eldred, and the principal landowners are the Crown and John and Mrs. Charles Boon. The soil is clay and loam. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 2,364 acres of land and 1,130 water; rateable value, £4,760; and the population in 1881 was 686.
CROSS KEYS is a hamlet about a quarter of a mile form the railway station. The mission church of St. Helen's was erected in 1881 at a cost of about £800: it is a red brick and stone building, having a porch on the north side and a turret containing 1 bell: the seats, which are for 150 persons, are mostly free: here is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.---Folthorpe Delamore, receiver. Letters arrive from Wisbech at 9 a.m. & are dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Terrington St. Clement. Letters for Cross Key arrive through Lynn
INSURANCE AGENT.---County Fire, F. Delamore
Assistant Observer, John Ingram
Board (girls), Walpole St. Andrew, Miss Caroline Maria Cross, mistress
Cross Keys (mixed), Miss Dack, mistress
Railway Station (Midland & Great Northern), Alfred Reuben Robbins, station master
1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages [Alan Gresley]
Walpole Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Walpole St. Andrew [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Walpole St. Peter
And see Marshland St. James