1891 Census Names Index
Marriages Index (1704-1812) [Alan Gresley]
Walpole St. Peter Highway tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Walpole Archeology and Walpole Highway Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Walpole St. Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Walpole St. Andrew
And see Marshland St. James

Norfolk - Walpole St. Peter

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 537.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WALPOLE ST. PETER is a village and extensive parish 8 miles south-west from Lynn and 3 south from Walpole station, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of and county court district of Wisbech, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is very handsome, in the Early English and Decorated styles: it was erected in the reign of Henry VI. and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and a fine embattled tower containing 6 bells: there are 13 clerestory windows on each side and two at the east end and some very fine carved oak benches. There has been from time immemorial a footpath through the churchyard, and the parishioners not being willing to give up their footpath, the difficulty was overcome by making a vaulted way under the chancel, which causes the communion table to be approached by a flight of ten steps. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory with the chapelry of St. Edmund annexed, tithes commuted at £1,187 years, with residence and 13 acres of glebe in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1853 by the Rev. Philip Salisbury Bagge M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. At Walpole Highway, 2 miles south, is St. Edmund's, a handsome structure in the Norman style, erected at a cost of about £1,600: the four chancel windows are stained, representing Our Saviour, St. Edmund, St. Peter and St. Catherine: it has 2 bells. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. The late Miss Shanley, of Terrington St. John, erected, in 1872, six almshouses for six poor women, who receive 5s. weekly. The rent of the Dole lands of 41 acres is distributed in money. The sea-wall, built by the Romans called the Roman bank, crosses this parish, and antiquities have been found in it. Edward Hugh Jackson esq. is lord of the manor of Walpole Colville; also of the manors of Walpole Colerane and Walpole Eldred. Edward Trafford and Joseph P. Townsend esqrs. are principal landowners. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, strong clay. The chief crops are oats, wheat, beans and barley. The area is 6,982 acres; rateable value, £12,199, and the population in 1881 was 1,137.

Parish Clerk, Charles Boon.

_____

POST OFFICE, Highway.—George Reeve, postmaster. Letters through Wisbech arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Terrington St. John & telegraph office at Walpole railway station. A Pillar Letter Box is placed at Church end; letters are dispatched at 5.10 p.m. on week days only

Assistant Overseer, John Ingram
Registrar of Births & Deaths, William Winterton

SCHOOLS:—
The Free school for the parishes of Walpole St. Andrew & Walpole St. Peter was founded in 1705 by Anthony Carton, who also endowed it with 60 acres of land, Thomas Arnold, master
Fen school, Miss Rosa Pemberton Harris, mistress
Board School, Highway, Alfred John Pear, master; Mrs. Mary Ann Pear, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February & June 2005; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Marriages Index (1704-1812) [Alan Gresley]
Walpole St. Peter Highway tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Walpole Archeology and Walpole Highway Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Walpole St. Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Walpole St. Andrew
And see Marshland St. James