1891 Census Names Index
North Greenhoe hundred
Walsingham union
Little Walsingham
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Walsingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Introduction to the Churches of Walsingham [Simon Knott]
Great Walsingham tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Great Walsingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Local web-site
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Walsingham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 716

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

WALSINGHAM (GREAT), or OLD WALSINGHAM, is a parish, one mile N. of New Walsingham, which comprises 476 souls, 108 houses, and 2,367 acres of land, belonging principally to the Rev. D. H. Lee Warner, Jno. Brook, Esq., Mr. Jno. Groom, and Mrs. Ann Tuck ; the former is lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, which is dedicated to St. Peter, the chancel of which is in ruins. Near it was formerly another Church, dedicated to All Saints, but no remains of it are now to be seen. The benefice is a donative, valued in 1831, at £55, in the gift of the Rev. D. H. Lee Warner, and enjoyed by the Rev. H. J. Lee Warner. Berry Hall is an ancient residence, the seat of John Brooke, Esq. In a field near the village were dug up, in 1658, from 40 to 50 Roman Urns, containing burnt bones and fragments of various ornaments. Robert Ward, in 1674, left 20s. yearly for the poor, who have also 20s. left by Hy. Graye. The Fuel allotment, 12a. 1r. 7p., awarded in 1810, is let for £19 a year.

DIRECTORY


Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated January 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
North Greenhoe hundred
Walsingham union
Little Walsingham
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Walsingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Introduction to the Churches of Walsingham [Simon Knott]
Great Walsingham tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Great Walsingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Local web-site
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page