Villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages (1668-1812); Baptisms and Burials [Alan Gresley]
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Walsoken smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Walsoken Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Walsoken [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Walsoken

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 543-544.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WALSOKEN is a parish adjoining Wisbech, from which it is separated by a small stream: the part which is adjacent to Wisbech is called NEW WALSOKEN, and has extended very much recently; it is in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union and county court district of Wisbech, rural district of Lynn, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, and is governed by a Local Board of Health of 6 members. The nearest railway station is Wisbech (Great Eastern, distant about quarter of a mile, and Midland, about three-quarters of a mile); the Emneth station is in this parish, and is about 3 miles from the church. The church of All Saints, situated a little off the high road, is a very old and large stone building in the Norman style, and cosnsists of chancel, nave, separated from the aisles by handsome stone Norman colonnades and square tower with spire and 6 bells: the tower is handsomely decorated with geometrical figures, and the west door is particularly noticeable for its geometrical lines and carvings: the sittings are open, and the screen remarkably fine: in the chancel is a stained memorial window to Richard Young esq. formerly member for North Cambridgeshire: one acre of glebe land was added to the churchyard in 1883, and the whole placed under the control of the Burial Board. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory,, yearly value £1,268, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of G. Gilpin esq. and held since 1871 by the Rev. John Young. Here is a chapel for the Primitive Methodists. The charities amount to £57, which is distrbuted yearly. Frederic Morehouse Metcalfe, esq. J.P. of Inglethorpe Hall, Emneth, is lord of the manor of Walsoken Metcalfe; William Goddard Jackson esq. is lord of the manor of Walsoken Popemhoe; and Francis and Edward Hugh Jackson esqrs. lords of the manor of Walsoken Colerane. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, peas, potatoes, and market garden produce. Walsoken is the centre of a great fruit-growing district, the principal fruits grown being gooseberries, apples, pears, plums and raspberries. The area is 4,656 acres; rateable value, £11,732; the population in 1881 was 2,696.


POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank, 28 Marshland road, New Walsoken.—Miss Mary Elizabeth Dent, receiver. Letters through Wisbech, which is the nearest telegraph office, despatched at 3.10 & 10.30 a.m. 2, 5.30 & 7.45 p.m. (week days only). Walll Letter Box on Lynn road

INSURANCE AGENT.—County Fire, Thos. E. Robins

SCHOOLS

LOCAL BOARD.

BURIAL BOARD.

Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

Villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages (1668-1812); Baptisms and Burials [Alan Gresley]
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Walsoken smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Walsoken Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Walsoken [GENUKI-NFK]