WALSOKEN, 1 mile E. of Wisbeach [sic. Wisbech], and 12 miles S.W. of Lynn, is a parish and considerable village, comprising 2,740 souls, 726 houses, and 4,656a. 0r. 1p. of land, mostly arable, including a large portion of the Smeeth and Fen, and belonging to a number of freeholders and copyholders. C. Metcalf, Esq., is lord of the manor of Walsoken ; but four other manors extend into this parish. New Walsoken forms a populous suburb to Wisbeach [sic. Wisbech]. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a curious and interesting specimen of architecture, with a tower surmounted by a lofty spire. At opposite ends of the nave, are effigies of King Solomon and King David, boldly sculptured in relief. On each side of the former, is a large painting, representing the judgment of Solomon on the two harlots. The font is of the most elaborate workmanship, being of an octagonal form, with numerous figures in the compartments, representing the seven Sacraments of the Church, and the Crucifixion. Here is a beautiful gothic screen, and memorials to the families of Gardiners, Edwards, Southwells, Wensleys, and Herrings. One of the latter family was Dr. Thos. Herring, Archbishop of York, and afterwards translated to the See of Canterbury ; he died in 1757. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £30 13s. 4d., in the patronage of Mrs. Crockford, and incumbency of the Rev. John Bluck, M.A. The tithes are commuted for £1,224 5s. 11d. There was formerly a chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity at a place called Staith Ditch, in which was a fraternity of brothers and sisters, to whom Boniface and other Popes granted many indulgences. In the time of Henry V. here was a Hermitage. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel at Old and New Walsoken. The poor have two chaldron of coals yearly, the gift of Gregory Brown, in 1666. Robert Palmer left 8a. of land, now let for £18, which is distributed among the poor, who have also £22 from 18a. at Parson Drove, left by one Harvey ; £8 2s. 6d. from land allotted at the enclosure, and two yearly rent-charges of 13s. 4d. and 5s., left by an unknown donor ; and another of 20s. left by John Smith, in 1705. A new Police Station is about to be built here. Trains are despatched from the Railway Station 4 times a day : Wm. Mills, station master. Letters are received by foot messenger daily, (except Sundays,) at 8.15 a.m., and are called for at 7 p.m.
In the following Directory, those marked 1, are at Fen-End, four miles E. of the Church ; and 2 at New Walsoken adjoining Wisbeach [sic. Wisbech].
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Freebridge Marshland hundred
Index of Marriages (1668-1812); Baptisms and Burials [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Walsoken smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Walsoken Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Walsoken [GENUKI-NFK]