1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Warham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Warham All Saints [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Warham St Mary
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Warham All Saints

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 545.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WARHAM ALL SAINTS is a parish situated near the sea shore 2 miles south-by-east from Wells and 3 north from Walsingham, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham amd diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a flint building, somewhat in the Decorated style, but with Perpendicular windows, and comprises chancel, nave and transepts, and a small bell gable with 1 bell: there are two brasses, one dated 1474 to William Rokeland esq. and one,dated 1650, to some members of the Framlingham family; the church was formerly a large edifice: portions of a massive tower still remain, and the arches of the ancient aisles are yet to be traced in the north and south walls of the present building: the latter was restored, re-seated, and a fine oak pulpit added in 1877, at an entire cost of 1,200, collected by public subscription. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, with that of Warham St. Mary annexed, joint yearly value 680, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Leicester and held since 1874 by the Rev. Charles Tilton Digby M.A. of Corpus Christi College,, Oxford. A Primitive Methodist chapel was erected here in 1872. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor of Warham Ducas and Hales and the chief landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,174 acres of land and 600 of water; rateable value, about 1,338; and the population in 1881 was 243.


Letters received through Wells. the nearest money order & telegraph offcie: delivery at 8.15 a.m.; collection from PILLAR BOX at 4.15 p.m. No collection on sunday

The Parochial school was erected at the expense of the late rector in 1869; Miss Annie Glover, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, September 2008; links updated October 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Warham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Warham All Saints [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Warham St Mary
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page