1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Warham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Warham St. Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Warham All Saints
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Warham St. Mary

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 545.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WARHAM St. Mary is a parish and pretty village adjoining Warham All Saints, 2 miles south-by-east from Wells and 4 miles north of Walsingham, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary Magdalene, is in the Early Eglish Transitional style, with some details of the Perpendcular period, is a small flat building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and square embattled tower with 1 bell: the chancel windows and one in the nave are stained: two of them are very ancient, bearing the respective dates 1628 and 1769: in a small chapel north of the chancel is the vault of the Turner family. The register dates from the year 1565. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Warham All Saints. Here was formerly another church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, but all traces of its site are lost. Near the Stiffkey rivulet is a fine specimen of a Danish camp, having a triple fosse, with an area of 9 acres. Here are also the remains of a large hall, once the residence of the Turner family, the former proprietors of the manor, from whom it was purchased by the late Earl of Leicester, who pulled down the hall and erected a farmhouse near its site, The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The land is of a rich, loamy nature, producing excellent crops of wheat, oats and barley, and green crops generally; the subsoil is partly on the chalk formation. The area is 2,056 acres of land and 1,010 of water; rateable value, 2,063; the population in 1881 was 67. —Letters through Wells, the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, September 2008; links updated October 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Warham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Warham St. Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Warham All Saints
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page