WATERDEN is a parish 4 miles west-by-south from Walsingham railway station, 5 south-east from Burnham Market, and 5 north-west from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Brothercross hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, Burnham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a small flint edifice, almost hidden with tres, a mere fragment of an earlier building, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch: the arches of a south aisle can still be traced, and there are some remains of a tower. The register dates from the year 1730. The living is a rectory, with Egmere attached, joint yearly value about £200. with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Leicester and held since 1847 by the Rev. Alexander Napier M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of and resides at Holkham. The land is alll on one farm, in the occupation of Mr. Miles Hamond, with a few cottages. The Earl of Leicester is sole landowner and lord of the manor. The soil is a rich loam, producing excellent crops of wheat, barley and green crops generally; subsoil, chiefl gravel, very little marl. The area is 763 acres; rateable value, £1,050; the population in 1881 was 35.Letters through Fakenham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
South Creake (and Waterden) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Exp;orer]
More on Waterden [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page