White's Directory entries for 1845 and 1854
Kelly's Directory entries for 1892; 1896; 1904; and 1937
1891 Census Names Index
Watlington tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Watlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site [Simon Paget]
More on Watlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Watlington

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.562:

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WATLINGTON is a parish, village and station on the Lynn and Wisbech railway, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, 6 miles south from Lynn on the east side of the great Ouse river. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is built of rubble, brick and carr stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel nave and aisles, and a square embattled tower surmounted by a small spire and containing 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1570. The living is a rectory, tithe commuted at £491 11s.. 4d. with residence and 22 acres of glebe, in the gift of Gilbert Barker esq. and held since 1860 by the Rev. George Llewellyn Barker M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The charities are £15 yearly. The principal landowners are the Rev. Canon Birch, Francis Joseph Cresswell, John Morton, Edmund Crowe and George Heading esqrs. The soil is mostly gravel and silt; subsoi1, gault and clay. 'l'he chief crops are wheat, beans and.oats. The area is 1,709 acres; rateable value, £3,883 ; the population in 1881 was 619.

POST OFFICE--George Ritches, receiver. Letters arrive from Downham Market at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Wiggenhall St. Germans

Board School (mixed ), built 1878 for 120 children, average attendance 92, James North, master ; Mrs. Marian North, mistress

Railway Station, Stibbard Potter, station master

CARRIER TO LYNN.--Richard Spratt, tues. & sat

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2003; links updated May 2010.

White's Directory entries for 1845 and 1854
Kelly's Directory entries for 1892; 1896; 1904; and 1937
1891 Census Names Index
Watlington tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Watlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site [Simon Paget]
More on Watlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page