White's Directory entries for 1845 and 1854
Kelly's Directory entries for 1883; 1892; 1896; and 1904
1891 Census Names Index
Watlington tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Watlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Local web-site [Simon Paget]
More on Watlington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Watlington

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1937, p.559:

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WATLINGTON is a parish and village on the east side of the Great Ouse river, with a junction station called "Magdalen Road" on the Lynn and Ely section of the London and North Eastern railway, 6 miles south from Lynn, in the South Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Downham rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Wiabech and diocese of Ely. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a fine building of rubble, brick and carr stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, two of which are of pre-Reformation date and bear the inscriptions--" Sit Nomen Domini benedictum," and "Sancta Anna ora pro nobis;" these were probably cast at King's Lynn by Johanna Sturdee about 1450, s clock was added to the tower in 1920 as a thank-offering for the men who returned from the Great War. In Aug. I902, the church tower was struck by lightning, but has since been restored: the chancel retains a aedilia and a piscina, and in the south-east chapel is a double piscina, and a hagioscope : ontside the north wall of the chancel are two aumbries, a piscina and a priest's door: the church was restored in 1900-2 and roofs of the nave and aisles were re-leaded : new oak benches for the nave were given by Mrs. Birch : some of the carved oak seats are of great age: the font cover dates from 1671 and the pulpit from 1661 : the chancel screen incorporates a fragment of 13th century work, which was formerly in the south-a.isle : the organ was also the gift of Mrs. Birch: in 1916 the south-east chapel was furnished with a new reredos in memory of the Rev. Edgar Wallace Bayly M.A. rector 1899-1914: the stained east window was given by A. E. H. Birch esq. J.P. in memory of his mother: the church affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1570. In Nov. 1919 a stone latin cross was unveiled in the churchyard as a memorial to the I3 men of the parish who fell in the Great War 1914-18.. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £412, including glebe, with residence, in the gift of A. E. H. Birch esq. JP and held since 1934 by the Rev. Francis Woodbury Fulford B D. of Jesus College, Cambridge. There is an iron church room, for Sunday school and other purposes, which is also used during the winter months as a reading room There is a Methodist chapel, erected in 1858. The charities amount to £9 7s. 5d. yearly and include John Davis's charity of £5 4s. yearly, left in 1747, and distributed in 12 small loaves weekly, 8 to poor widows of Watlington and 4 to others of Tottenhill. The parish land of 2 acres, situated in Tottenhill, is now let for £3 10s. yearly which sum is distributed in money at Christmas. Watlington Hall, a mansion of brick and stucco, pleasantly situated in a well-wooded park of about 75 acres, is the residence of A. E. H. Birch esq. BA, JP, C.C. R. H. Edleston esq. is lord of the manor. The trustees of the late George Coote esq. the trustees of the late Charles Frederick Collins esq. and A. E. H. Birch esq. BA, J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is mostly gravel and silt; subsoil, gault and clay. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes, fruit growing, sugar-beet and oats. The area is 1,687 acres of land, 5 of water, 15 of tidal water and 11 of foreshore; the population in 1931 was 583.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office. Letters through King's Lynn
Railway Station (L. & N. E)
Omnibuses run to King's Lynn & Downham daily

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2003; links updated May 2010.

White's Directory entries for 1845 and 1854
Kelly's Directory entries for 1883; 1892; 1896; and 1904
1891 Census Names Index
Watlington tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Watlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Local web-site [Simon Paget]
More on Watlington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page