White's Directory entry for 1845
Kelly's Directory entries for 1883; 1892; 1896; 1904; and 1937
1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Watlington tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Watlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site [Simon Paget]
More on Watlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Watlington

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 643-4

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February, 2001]

WATLINGTON, 6 miles S. by W. of Lynn, is a neat village of dispersed houses in the fertile marshes on the east side of the great [sic} Ouse river. the parish contains 1,628 acres of land, 124 houses, and 577 inhabitants. The soil is mostly the property of Chas. B. Plestow, Esq., who now resides in France. Mr. H. G.H. English, resides in the Hall, a good residence, with a park and plantations. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a large edifice with a tower and five bells ; and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £41 15s. 8d., in the patronage of C. B. Plestow, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. E. Cobbold. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, and a Hiring for Servants is held on the Monday before Michaelmas-day. The tithes are commuted for £490. A yearly rent-charge of £5 4s., left by John Davies, is distributed in bread among six poor people of Watlington and Tottenhill. Here is a clothing club to which the inhabitants add their contributions at Christmas, at which time £9 8s. 3d. is distributed among the poor of Watlington. This sum arises as follows:— £6 from a close of 2a. left by E. Shouldham, in 1646 ; 20s. charged on a cottage by H. Punting ; 10s. left by Thos. Watson ; and £1 18s. 3d. from the interest of £42 10s. given by three donors. The East Anglian Railway to Wisbeach, Lynn, and Ely, was opened in 1848.

Post Office at Mary Ann Perry's ; letters arrive at 9 a.m. and are despatched at 4 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February 2001; links updated May 2010.

White's Directory entry for 1845
Kelly's Directory entries for 1883; 1892; 1896; 1904; and 1937
1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Watlington tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Watlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site [Simon Paget]
More on Watlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page