White's Directory entries for 1845 and 1854
Kelly's Directory entries for 1883; 1896; 1904; and 1937
1891 Census Names Index
Watlington tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Watlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site [Simon Paget]
More on Watlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Watlington

Kelly's Directory for Norfolk, 1892, p.668:

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WATLINGTON is a parish and village on the east side of the Great Ouse river, with a junction station called "Magdalen Road," on the Lynn and Ely section of the Great Eastern railway, 6 miles south from Lynn, in the South Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of rubble, brick and carr stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with small spire and containing 3 bells: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1570. The living is a rectory, tithe commuted at £491, net yearly value £420 including 21 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Gilbert Barker esq. and held since 1860 by the Rev George Llewellyn Barker MA of Christ's College, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1858, and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities amount to £10 yearly. The parish land of 2 acres, situated in Tottenhill, is now let for £6 5s. yearly which sum is distributed in money at Christmas. Albert Edward Henry Birch esq. Augustus Cresswell Cresswell esq. of 3 Little St James street, London s w John Morton esq. of West Rudham, Edmund Crowe esq. and George Heading esq. of Thorpland, are the principal landowners; The soil is mostly gravel and silt ; subsoil gault and clay, The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area is 1,709 acres ; rateable value, £3,675 ; the population in 1891 was 579.

POST OFFICE.-George Benjamin Riches, receiver. Letters arrive from Downham at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 5·55 p.m. ; sundays, arrive at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 10 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph offfice is at Wiggenhall St. Germans. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
WALL, LETTER BOX, at Magdalen Road station, cleared at 5 I5 p m· ; sundays at 11.15 a.m.
A School Board of 5 members was formed 17 July I875; T. L. Reed, Downham, clerk to the board; William Kidman, attendance officer
Board School (mixed), built in I878, for 120 children ; average attendance, 92 ; Peter Light foot, master ; Mrs. Jane Light foot, mistress
Police Station, Darnel James Huggins, constable
Railway Station, Frederic Hillier, station master
CARRIERS TO LYNN.-Richard Spratt, tues. & sat. & Ann Cason, tues. & sat

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2003; links updated May 2010.

White's Directory entries for 1845 and 1854
Kelly's Directory entries for 1883; 1896; 1904; and 1937
1891 Census Names Index
Watlington tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Watlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site [Simon Paget]
More on Watlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page