WATLINGTON is a parish and village on the east side of the Great Ouse river, with a junctlon station called '"Magdalen Road," on the Lynn and Ely section of the Great Eastern railway, 6 miles south from Lynn, in the South Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a fine building of rubble, brick and carr stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave aisles south porch and an embattled western tower with small spire and containing 5 bells, two of which are of Pre-Reformation date and bear the inscriptions--"Sit Nomen Domini benedictum," and "Sancta Anna ora pro. nobis." The church originally contained a fine brass, with an inscription in Norman French, to Sir Robert de Montalt, who died about 1329: the chancel retains a fine sedilia and a piscina and in the south east chapel is a double piscina and a hagioacope : there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year I570. The living is a rectory, tithe commuted at £491 net yearly value £350 including 21 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of Gilbert Barker esq. and held since 1860 by the Rev George Llewellyn Barker M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1858, and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities amount to £9 7s. 5d. yearly and include John Davis's charity of £5 4s yearly, left in 1747, and distributed in 12 small loaves weekly, 8 to poor widows of Watlington and 4 to others of Tottenhill. The parish land of 2 acres, situated in Tottenhill, is now let for £7 yearly, which sum is distributed in money at Christmas. Mrs. Birch, Augustus Cresswell Cresswell esq. the trustees of the late John Morton esq. of West Rudham, Edmund and Henry Crowe esds and the trustees of the late George Heading esq. of Thorpland, are the principal landowners. The soil is mostly gravel and silt ; subsoil, gault and clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area is I,687 acres of land, 5 of water, 13 of tidal water and 11 of foreshore; rateable value , £3,690 ; the population in 1891 was 572.
Parish Clerk, John Wood.
Sexton, Mayes Page.
Post, M. & T. , T. M O., Express Delivery, S. B. & Annuity· & Insurance Office: George Benjamin Riches, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Downham at 8 a.m. & 3 p.m. ; dispatched at 5~55 p.m..; sundays, arrive at 8 a.m · dispatched at l0 a.m
Wall Letter Box, at Magdalen Road station, cleared at 5.I5 p m. ; sundays at 11.I5 a.m.
A Scliool Board of 5 members was formed I7 July, I875; T. L. Reed, Downliam, clerk to the board ; William Hanslip, attendance oflicer
Board School (mixed), with master's residence attached, built in I878, for 120 children · number on the books, 130 ; average attendance, 110 ; Herbert Dawson, master; Mrs. Sarali Anne Dawson, mistress
Police Station, Samuel James Huggins, constable
Railway Station, Edward George Paige, station master
Carrier to Lynn.-- Richard Spratt, tues. & sat
Barker Rev.Geo. Llewellyn M. A Rectory
Beard Rev. Henry Ernest (curate), The Poplars
Birch Albert Edwd. Hy. Watlington hall
Birch Mrs. Watlington hall
Downer Henry, Magdalen road ·
Draper Thomas Makin, Watlington lio
Franklin Walter, Vine cottage
Heading Robt. Thorrold, The Cottage
Langley Mrs. Park cottage
Randall Robert Edward, Fen row
Williams Thomas, Vine cottages