WEASENHAM ST. PETER (or LOWER WEASENHAM) is a parish 9 miles north from Swaffham and 7 south-west-by-south from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Toftrees, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave and south aisle, with a low square tower. The church was restored in 1870 at a cost of about £2,000, whcih was borne by the family of the vicar. The register dates from the year 1581. The living is a vicarage, annexed with that of Weasenham St. Peter, tithes commuted at £378, with 35 acres of glebe and residence, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Straton Charles Campbell M.A. of Corpus Christ college, Cambridge. Wilson's charity is £2 13s.; the Town estate has been sold and the proceeds invested in the funds. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor and chief landed proprietor. The soil is brick earth and clay; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hay and turnips. The area is 1,397 acres; rateable value, £1,984; the population in 1881 was 298.
POTM OFFICE.Mark Deadman, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Swaffham arrive at 6.45 a.m. sunday the same; dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Rougham
INSURANCE AGENT.North British & Mercantile Fire & Life, H. Overman
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Weasenham St. Peter Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Weasenham St Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Weasenham All Saints
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page