WEASENHAM ST. PETER, or Lower Weasenham, 7 miles S.W. by S. of Fakenham, is a parish comprising 65 houses, 326 souls, and1,400 acres of land, nearly all belonging to the Earl of Leicester, the lord of the manor and lessee of the rectory. The Church is a neat edifice, with a low tower, and is a vicarage which has 15a. of glebe, and had a grant of £600 from Queen Anne's bounty, in 1760. The Earl of Leicester is patron, and the Rev. C. Campbell, incumbent. Here is a fair for pedlery, &c. on the 25th of January. In the reign of Edward III., Sir John de Wesenham was the King's butler, and being a rich merchant in London, had the King's crown in pawn, for money advanced for the wars with France. The Town Estate consists of two tenements, and 2a. 2r. 15p. of land, let for £12 5s. a year. The poor have a yearly sum of 53s. left by Chas. Wilson, in 1729, to be distributed in bread.
Post Office at Mr. Jno. Filby Ward's ; letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 6.10 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Weasenham St. Peter Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Weasenham St Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Weasenham All Saints
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page