1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Weeting with Broomhill Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Inns in Weeting [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Weeting local web-site
Grimes Graves [English Heritage]
More on Weeting [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Weeting-with-Bromehill

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 755

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000]

WEETING, WITH BROOMHILL, form one parish, from 1 to 2 miles N. of Brandon, and 9 miles S.E. by S. of Stoke Ferry. They contain 75 houses, 429 souls, and 6,000 acres of land, including 1,500a. of woods and plantations, belonging to John Angerstein, Esq., of Weeting Hall, a spacious and handsome mansion, in a well wooded park. The late Jno Julius Angestein, Esq., who planted here upwards of 1,500a., was a distinguished patron, connoiseur [sic.] of ancient and modern art, and the first proposer of State Lotteries in England. He died in 1823, and his valuable collection of paintings were purchased for the National Gallery, at the cost of nearly £60,000. Weeting had formerly two CHURCHES; but St. Mary's, which stood near the hall, became a ruin by the fall of the tower more than a century ago. All Saints is a small edifice, and its rectory is valued in the King's book at £8 1s. 8d., and that of St. Mary's at £10 8s. 1½d. The joint livings were valued in 1831 at £486, and are in the gift of Gonville and Caius' College, Cambridge, and enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Manning, M.A. BROOMHILL, or Bromehill, is a manor and farm, one mile south of Weeting, which had a priory of Augustine monks, founded by Sir Hugh de Plaiz, about the reign of King John. A cattle fair is held here on July the 7th. On the west side of the parish is a bank and ditch, extending several miles, called the Fen dike, or Foss, and about 2 miles east of the village, is a large Encampment, comprising about 12 acres, and having numerous deep pits dug, capable of concealing a large army from the view of persons passing the neighbouring roads. Near it is a long tumulus, called Grime's Graves. Weeting sends four boys to the Free School at Brandon; and its poor have the interest of £45, left by several donors, and about £20 every fifth year from Atmere's charity, as noticed with Foulden.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Weeting with Broomhill Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Inns in Weeting [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Weeting local web-site
Grimes Graves [English Heritage]
More on Weeting [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page