Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Kelly's 1937
Blomefield's History of Norfolk, 1739
Village web-site
Runhall Archeology (including Welborne) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Welborne [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Welborne

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.549.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WELBORNE is a village and parish 3½ miles north-north-east from Hardingham station and 6½ south-east from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a structure of flint, dating from about A.D. 1280, in the Early English style, with windows of Decorated, and south porch of Perpendicular style: it consists of chancel and nave and a comparatively modern round tower containing 1 bell, built against a western lancet window: the chancel, with vestry and organ chamber, was erected in 1874-6, in place of the previous one of 1671, in the style of the original one, but somewhat less in length and breadth. The register dates from the year 1695. The living is a rectory, with rent charge of £240 and 42 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. John Barham Johnson M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Henry Barham Johnson M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge: the parsonage was erected in 1846. At the time of the enclosure of the commons, 3½ acres of land was allotted to the trustees of the poor inhabitants of the parish of Welborne, legally settled therein; it now lets for £8. 15s. a year, which is distributed in money. Mr. T. H. Dring is the chief owner of the land, which is freehold. The soil is mixed; subsoil, brick earth and clay. There is a good brick yard, manufacturing bricks, pavements and draining pipes. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 732 acres; rateable value. £1,591; the population in 1881 was 190.

Letters are received through East Dereham. PILLAR LETTER BOX cleared at 4.30 p.m.; sundays at 10 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office & savings bank is at Mattishall.

A National school was erected here is 1847 for 60 children, & has been under government inspection since 1868; Miss Caroline Carter, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, March 2005; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Kelly's 1937
Blomefield's History of Norfolk, 1739
Village web-site
Runhall Archeology (including Welborne) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Welborne [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]