WELBORNE is an ecclesiastical parish and village 3½ miles north-north-east from Hardingham station on the Wymondham and Wells section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 6½ south-east from Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a structure of flint, dating from around 1280, in the Early English style, with Decorated windows and a south porch of Perpendicular date; it consists of chancel, with vestry and organ chamber, nave, south porch and a round western tower containing one bell: the chancel, with its adjuncts, was erected in 1874-6 in place of the previous fabric erected in 1671; there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1695. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £299, including 40 acres of glebe, with residence, erected in 1846, in the gift of Mrs. C. B. Johnson, and held since 1923 by the Rev. William Busby M.A. of New College, Oxford. At the time of the enclosure of the commons 3¼ acres of land were allotted to the trustees for the poor inhabitants of the parish of Welbrne, "legally settled therein;" it now lets for £5 5s. a year, which sum is distributed in money. John Dring esq. and the Rev. R. W. Pitt M.A. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, brick earth and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 753 acres; the population in 1931 was 147.
By the County of Norfolk Review Order, 1935, this civil parish was transferred to Runhall.
Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Dereham. The nearest M. O. & T. office is at Mattishall.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Blomefield's History of Norfolk, 1739
Runhall Archeology (including Welborne) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Welborne [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]