WELLINGHAM is a parish 6 miles north-east-by-north from Fransham station and 6 south-south-west from Falenham station, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is small and plain, consisting of chancel, nave, and low square tower. The register dates from the year 1739. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Tittleshall-cum-Godwick, joint yearly value £947, with residence and 53 acres of glebe, in the gift of the gift of and held since 1835 by the Hon. and Rev.Kenelm Henry Digby M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. who resides at Tittleshall. The poor have £19 yearly in coals, derived from 37 acres. The Earl of Leicester, who is lord of the manor, and John Norton esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,056 acres; rateable value £1,325; the population in 1881 was 132.
Letters through Swaffham, the nearest money order office
School for Infants Miss Martha Sidell, mistress. The elder children of this parish attend at Tittleshall-cum-Godwick
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
With Giants around Swaffham (Introduction to the churches of Beeston-next-Mileham, Little Dunham, Necton and Wellingham [Simon Knott]
Wellingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wellingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page