1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wendling RAF airfield [Robert Truman]
Wendling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wendling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wendling

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.552.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

WEMDLING is a village and parish and station on the Lynn branch of the Great Eastern Railway, 121¾ miles from London and 4 west from East Dereham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is small building of flint with stone dressings, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, a square tower containing 3 bells and porch. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Longham, joint yearly value £150, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1869 by the Rev. William Ray Eaton B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1877. The charities are £24 yearly for distribution, and the fuel allotment of 9 acres produces £11 for coals. Here was an abbey founded in the time of Henry III. for Præmonstratensian canons; there are no remains of the building left, the ruins and foundations having been used some years since for the repair of roads. John Margarson esq. who is lord of the manor, Colonel Fyson and Mr. William Hubbard are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,436 acres; rateable value £2,498; the population in 1881 was 361.


POST OFFICE.—Wm. C. Lovett, receiver. Letters through East Dereham arive at 7.30 a.m.; disatched at 5.30 p.m. Little Fransham is the nearest money order office; the telegraph office is at East Dereham

INSURANCE AGENTBritish Empire Mutual Life, W. C. Lovett

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; William Creed Lovett, clerk to the Board

Board School, built in 1875, at a cost of about £500, for 70 children, average attendance 60; Miss Anna Hill, mistress

Railway Station, Robert Huggins, collector

 
Boddy Mrs
Dodds Saml.Pedley, Church farm
Farrow Edmund
Farrow William, Wendling house
          COMMERCIAL.
Archer Frederick, butcher
Ayton Samuel, manager to C. Horseley & Sons
Bartle Abraham, farmer
Bayfield George, blacsmith
Blades Arthur John, shopkeeper
Blades John, baker
Brown George, farm bailiff to Mr. John Wake
Carter Charles, Rose Cottage
Greaves George, farmer
Green William, carpenter
Haines Barney, farmer
Horseley Charles & Son, millers & corn & seed merchants; & at Sculthorpe & Fakenham
James Robert, beer retailer
Lovett Wm. Creed, clerk to the School Board
Margarson, farmer & landowner
Miles Jacob, boot maker
Moore John, wheelwright
Munday William, Railway Tavern
Stanford Philip, farmer
Walker George, farmer, Abbey farm
Warmer Charles, farmer
Wilsom Barnard, farmer

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010. links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wendling RAF airfield [Robert Truman]
Wendling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wendling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page