WEREHAM, is a parish and village, 1½ miles north-west from Stoke Ferry railway station, and 5 miles east from Downham Market, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich situated on the road from Lynn to Brandon. The church of St. Margaret, of the 13th century, is a small plain building, having chancel, nave and aisles: the nave has been re-seated, and the church thoroughly restored, and a stone pulpit erected, at a cost of about £700: a clock was presented to the church by the Rev. Augustus Sutton, of West Tofts: there are some mural tablets to members of the Heaton, Mason, Houchen, Royle and Adamson families.. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, with that of Wretton annexed, joint yearly value £120, with 52 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the trustees of the late Mrs. Pratt and held by the Rev. Morgan Gwillim Thomas. The small tithes are commuted to the impropriators and patrons at £290 10s. yearly, and the great tithes to the Norwich Life Insurance Office at £253 12s. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The school is now leased to the School Board. The charities amount to £40 yearly value. In the centre of the parish is a large pond, supplied by a fine spring of water called St. Margaret's Well. Henry Edwards Paine esq. solicitor, Chertsey, Surrey, is lord of the manor. Sidney Sussex College, the Rev. Robert Phelps D.D. Sir Henry G. P. Bedingfield bart. Thomas Thornton, Hugh Aylmer, Oldman Carter, A. Kemp, Richard Harwin, John Houchen and James Scott esqrs. and Mrs. Law are the principal landowners. The soil is a mixed loam, subsoil, in some parts gravel, and in others sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,231 acres; rateable value, £3,891; the population in 1881 was 614.
POST OFFICE.Misses Elizabeth & Mary Ann Burcham, receivers. Letters received from Brandon at 6.45 a.m. & dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Stoke Ferry
INSURANCE AGENT.Norwich Union Fire, Frederic Spinks
A School Board of 5 members, was formed in 1874; F. Spinks, clerk to the Board
Board School, William James Whiting,, master
CARRIER TO LYNNCharles Pilgrim, tues. thurs. & sat
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wereham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page