WESTACRE, a secluded village, on the north side of the river Nar, 4½ miles N.W. by N. of Swaffham, contains 475 inhabitants, 78 houses, and 3,338 acres of land, mostly a sandy soil, all the property of A. Hamond, Esq., the lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the Church, (supposed to be built in 1638), which is dedicated to All Saints, and is a perpetual curacy, enjoyed by the Rev. E. M. D. Pyne, and valued at £31 only. An elaborate monument of white marble remembers the late A. Hamond, Esq., who died in 1822, aged 81 years. Near the church are the ruins of Westacre Priory, founded by Ralph de Tony, about the year 1200, for monks of the Clugniac [sic] order. At the Dissolution, William Wingfield, the last friar with eight monks, surrendered the priory to Henry VIII., and received pensions for lifethe prior having £40 a year. Its revenues were estimated by Speed at £308 9s. 11d. per annum. Part of the tower of the Conventual Church is still standing, and under an arch is represented the Virgin and Child treading on a Dragon. Westacre High House, the seat of Anthony Hamond, Esq., is pleasantly situated near two miles north of the village, and is a handsome building in the Italian style, with a delightful park and grounds, adorned with plantations and shrubberies. A school was established in 1849, and is chiefly supported by A. Hamond, Esq. Letters received by foot messenger from Castle Acre at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
West Acre watermill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local Village site
More onn West Acre [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page