1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Barsham [GENUKI-NFK]
And see East and North Barsham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - West Barsham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 240.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WEST BARSHAM is a parish about 3 miles north-by-west from Fakenham, and 2 from Walsingham, situated in a valley, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred. Walsingham union, county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church (name unknown) is a Gothic stone building (with Saxon and Norman portions), in good repair, consisting of chancel and nave; the tower has long since disappeared. The register dates from the year 1554. The living is a vicarage, yearly value tithe rent-charge 165, with 7 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lady Katherine Balders. and held since 1873 by the Rev. Alpheus Wilkes B.A. of London University, who is also head master of Walsingham Grammar School and chaplain of Walsingham union, and resides at Walsingham. Lady Katharine Balders is lady of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is various; subsoil, clayey, The crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,571 acres; rateable value 1,822; the populaton in 1881 was 99.


Letters through New Walsingham R.S.O. which is the nearest money order office

This parish is included in the Barsham United School Board district, formed in 1873: the children attend the board school at East Barsham

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Barsham [GENUKI-NFK]
And see East and North Barsham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page