[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
WEST BECKHAM is a parish, about 4 miles east from Holt and 12 from North Walsham station, and 8 miles from Gunton station, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, The church of All Saints is a small old building of flint with stone dressings, chiefly in the Early English style, consisting only of chancel and nave: the tower fell some years since. The register dates from the year 1689. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £61, in the gift of Ecclesiastical Commissioners and held since 1875 by the Rev. Edward James Harper M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford, who is also rector of and resides at Barningham Town. The town lands produce £2 yearly for fuel. Here is the Erpingham Union house, a flint and brick building, erected in 1851, capable of holding 539 inmates. The turstees of the late W. H. Windham are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 785 acres; rateable value, £1,242; and the population in 1881 was 300.
Letters through Dereham. Holt is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Erpingham Union Workhouse, Rev. Arthur Dowling Spurgeon B.A. chaplain; Robert Turner Hales M.D. medical officer; Thomas Potter, master; Miss Isabella Sharpen, matron; George Yalloo, schoolteacher; Mrs. Mary Ann Fryer, mistress
1891 Census index for West Beckham
and 1891 Census Names Index for Erpingham Workhouse
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
West Beckham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Beckham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local Information and pictures [Kosmix]
More on West Beckham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see East Beckham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page